The Pirates who don't do anything
The Pirate code is a collection of written an unwritten rules that vary by ship and region, the following is an example of the average pirate code.
- Every member of the crew gets an equal share of treasure.
Anyone caught taking more than his fair share of loot,
or refusing to report its discovery in a timely manner,
shall be marooned. The captain receives extra shares of
any treasure, as do shipwrights, carpenters, and officers.
- Every member of the crew must tend to his own weapons
and keep them ready for battle.
- Anyone who shows cowardice in the face of the enemy or
deserts in battle shall be keelhauled or be marooned.
- No crew member shall hide his abilities from the crew.
A sailor who can perform magic shall use his abilities on
behalf of the ship.
- No crew member shall take a position on a new ship or talk
of leaving until each crew member has acquired at least
1,000 gp worth of treasure through his labors.
- No fighting is allowed between crewmates. Quarrels
shall be set aside until shore leave, at which point
grievances may be settled with violence on shore.
- All crew members must obey the captain and his officers.
- Any pirate found stealing from crewmates shall take 10
lashes and may be put ashore at port.
- The person who spots a sail shall have first pick of its loot.
- Any crew member who loses a limb in service to the ship
shall be paid 800 gp for its loss.
- Every sailor has an equal right to vote in decisions put to
the crew by the captain.